visit The 118th Annual SOMERSET COUNTY FAIR
AUGUST 18-25, 2018
2017 FAIR QUEEN - MIKAYLA HAGERTY
Click here for a list of our past Fair Queens Click here for Queen MIKAYLA HAGERTY farewell letter
Somerset County Fair Queen Contest
$1000 Fair Queen
$300 1st Runner-up
$250 2nd Runner-up
$50.00 each for promenade, speech, and fair knowledge.
The Somerset County Fair Queen Contest is an annual event that we are proud to have opening the fair each year. The contest has had many changes over the years especially since the Pennsylvania State Fair Queen Contest began in 1987. The Somerset County Fair has had five state queens and many others have placed in the top five over the years. Miss Jill Romesberg was the first State Queen. Miss Wendy Will won the contest in 1991, Miss Jennifer Randall in 1995, Miss Julie Sechler in 1999, and Miss Cassie Hay in 2003.
At the county level, contestants have an informal meeting with the judges. After changing into gowns, they are interviewed and asked questions while facing a crowd of family, friends, and well-wishers. The new queen is presented with a crown, sash, sash pin, and a bouquet of flowers for her to have as a lasting memory of her reign.
In 1992 a scholarship program was started for the fair queen. Beginning this year, cash awards totaling $1,550.00 will be given to the queen, first and second runner-ups. Over the years, Swank’s Steel City Shows, Somerset Trust, the Wheeler Family, and Animal Medical Center of Somerset County Inc. have graciously sponsored these awards. In addition, Clapper’s Building Materials, Fullerton Promotions, and the Somerset County Commissioner John P Vatavuk give cash awards of $50.00 each for promenade, speech, and fair knowledge.
Local judging consists of the following:
1. Poise, Appearance, Neatness, Speaking Ability, and Knowledge of the fair industry.
2. An essay (300 words or less) on “What My Fair Means to Me”.
3. A 3 to 5 minute speech on “Why You Should Come to My Fair”.
The state contest is held each year in January. All contestants for the PA State Fair
Queen must apply through their local fair and follow the rules set for by the State Fair
Queen Committee. The Somerset County Fair Association pays expenses for the queen
and her parents while attending the state competition.
We hope to see a large number of entries in the Somerset County Fair Queen Contest.
Please Click here for a list of our past Fair Queens
Pa. State Association of County Fairs
|STATE COMPETITION FAIR QUEEN RULES AT THE STATE COMPETITION:|
1. The girls will be judged on:
Poise, Appearance – Two casual outfits – Neatness, Ability to Communicate
(speaking ability), and Knowledge of the fair
State Queen Contest entry forms will be available from the secretary-treasurer of the PSACF
by mid-August. All entries are due by September 1st
Below are the Official PA Fair Queen Program rules
Each Fair Queen contestant must
1. Be a female who is a U.S. citizen and a resident of Pennsylvania.
2. Be at least age 16, but no older than 20, years of age as of June 1 of the year entering the local contest.
3. Be certified as the winner by the local fair where she was crowned.
4. Have not been a former local Fair Queen winner, nor a former State Fair Queen contestant.
5. Not hold any other title for any other commodity group or pageant during her reign.
6. Have her parent(s)' or guardian(s)' consent to enter the competition.
7. Be single, have never been married, have not been pregnant nor given birth to a child.
8. Act in accordance with the PA Fair Queen “Behavior Policy” – see below
9. Meet all time commitments, Queen obligations and Dress Code as set forth by the PA Fair Queen Program.
FAIR QUEEN BEHAVIOR POLICY:
The Contest’s governing Board shall have the sole discretion to determine whether, in its judgment, the
Queen, Alternate or Contestants may continue to participate in the Program, in the event that Board
determines that any statement or representation is not true and accurate, or that any action is
inconsistent with the rules, standards and dignity of the Program.
The following will be considered violations of the Policy and will be grounds for immediate
disqualification, dismissal and/or being banned from future Queen competitions:
1. Any infractions of any Queen Contest rules.
2. Smoking, drinking alcoholic beverages, chewing gum, foul language and/or public displays of
affection to dates/boyfriends while wearing crown and/or sash and representing the Queen Program.
3. Engagement in any illegal, unpartisan, unethical, indecent and/or morally questionable
behavior, including but not limited to online representations on the Internet such as social
networking sites (Facebook and MySpace).
4. Use of any illegal controlled dangerous substances or abusing the use of alcohol or other
5. Any defamation of the Queen Contest, its winners and contestants, and the Fair or the PA Fair
Queen Program and their Directors and Committee members, whether it be oral or written.
This includes postings on the Internet.
6. Any uncooperative or unsportsmanlike conduct before, during or after the competition.
7. Any unsolicited or unauthorized appearances or representations of the Queen Program in crown
FAIR QUEEN DRESS CODE:
Wearing of the Fair Queen crown and/or sash is to be considered an honor and privilege. The bearer
represents herself, her family, her community and Fair. Therefore professional appearance is expected
while in crown and sash:
1. Attire that is conducive to the specific appearance or event (i.e. business casual, formal, etc.)
2. No jeans, sneakers, flip flops or boots.
3. No visible piercings (other than earrings) or tattoos.
4. No outfit that is too low cut, too short or too revealing.
5. No clothing that advertises, promotes, or glorifies the use of alcohol, tobacco, drugs, or anything
inconsistent with the dignity of the Queen Program.
|Designed by Dylan Murray|